Downloading and installing
- Go to our website and click on the download button. You will download the setup file;
- Launch the NordLockerSetup.exe installation file you have downloaded;
- A new window may pop up (depending on your Windows settings), asking, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?. Click Yes;
- Then, you will be prompted to choose the location for the NordLocker app to be installed. After choosing the location, click Next. Afterwards, select Install;
- In order to complete the installation click Finish. When the NordLocker window opens either create an account or sign in to your current one.
There are a few ways to encrypt your files with NordLocker.
- Adding files to an existing locker by clicking on the Add files button:
- Adding a folder to a locker by clicking on the Import folder button:
- Dragging files/folders to a locker:
*In the process, you will be asked if you want to copy the file/folder or move it to a locker.
If you choose Copy - the original file/folder will stay decrypted on your device and only a duplicate of it will be encrypted with NordLocker.
If you select to Move the file/folder to a locker, then the original file will be encrypted and will not remain in its original location.
- Convert files/folders to a locker by right-clicking on the file:
Note that using this method will always move your files and not copy them.
- Copy&Paste files directly to the NordLocker.
Note that using this method will always copy your files and not move them.
Creating a Cloud locker
Click on the + button next to the NordLocker Cloud title to create a new cloud locker:
Choose the name for your Cloud locker and encrypt your files to it. Once the files are added and the syncing process begins, you will see Checking files... or Syncing... at the bottom left corner, next to the Cloud storage information. When the syncing process is finished, you should see Up to date at the bottom left corner.
You can decrypt your files with NordLocker by choosing the files you wish to decrypt and either right-clicking to choose the option or clicking on the Export decrypted button:
Please note that you can only share local lockers and not the Cloud ones.
Once you open the locker you wish to share, you can right-click on it or click the Share locker button.
Enter the email address of the user you want to share the locker with and click Add. This will grant them access to the locker. If the recipient does not have a NordLocker account, they will receive an invitation to join NordLocker. After they register an account, add their email address once again. Also, you also need to share the physical locker through email, Cloud, or a movable drive.
After that, you can share the locker directly to that user and send it by clicking Share and choosing the method:
- Sharing via Dropbox. After creating a sharing folder, the user will get a link that can be shared in any way (email, chat, message, etc.) The receiver will see the encrypted folder in Dropbox. It has to be downloaded and opened with the NordLocker application.
- Sharing via Google Drive. You will get a generated link. Copy it and send to anyone who has access to the locker.
- The Show locker in Explorer option will open the location your locker is stored. You can now send this .locker file to other users.
If you wish to share a file/files from your locker but not all of them, you will have to create a new locker and move the files there.
Note that you are only able to share locally saved lockers.
Moving files between lockers
You can either copy (ctrl + c) and paste (ctrl + v) a file to a different locker and drag and drop it to the other one.
Deleting and removing lockers
If you wish to delete a local locker from your computer or just NordLocker application, you can do so by following these steps:
- Right-click on the locker you wish to remove.
- Then, choose one of the two options:
Remove from Sidebar - the local locker will be removed from the NordLocker application sidebar but it will stay in its location on your computer so you could still access your files.
Delete locker... - completely removes the local locker from NordLocker and your device and you will not be able to recover it, so please be aware. You will also be asked to enter the name of the locker to confirm the deletion process.
Please note that Cloud lockers only have the option to be deleted completely, they cannot be only removed from the sidebar.
NordLocker offers an auto-lock feature, with which you can select for how long you would like to stay signed in. However, do note that if your connection to the internet drops, you close the application or turn off your computer, you will need to log in with the Master Password again despite it being set up.
You can set it up via the settings of your application:
How to find files inside a locker?
There is a search function in NordLocker! You know how search works. However, note that the search function works only in the current locker. If you can't find a file, try switching lockers - maybe you've just put it in a different one.
The search option can be found in the top right corner of the NordLocker application window.
How to find lockers in Finder?
Each local locker is physically stored on your computer. By default, all local lockers are created in the NordLocker folder.
You can either right-click on the locker or choose the Show in File Explorer option:
Can I use NordLocker to edit my encrypted files?
We tried not to disrupt your usual working habits. Lockers look and feel just like regular folders on your computer. Just like with folders, you can launch files from inside your locker using a NordLocker application's User Interface.
You can continue writing, editing photos, or watching movies - NordLocker encrypts and decrypts files in the background, so you can work as you’re used to.
How many devices can be connected to NordLocker simultaneously?
There is no limitation on simultaneous connections over NordLocker application, as it does not require connection to a server as per NordVPN. You can have as many devices logged to the NordLocker application as you want.
How can I tell which of my files are encrypted?
All files in .locker folders are encrypted. When you open a .locker folder via the NordLocker application, the encrypted files will have their original names and will be displayed clearly. If you or someone else tries to open a .locker folder without the app and without your Master Password, the names of encrypted files will be displayed as gibberish text. Note, that only the locker container (folders) has the NordLocker icon, not the encrypted files.
Can someone decrypt my files without my knowledge?
You’re in control of who can decrypt your files. If you don’t give access to anyone, only you can open your encrypted files with your Master Password.
If you give access to specific users through the NordLocker application, they will be able to decrypt your shared files with their Master Passwords once they got their hands on the locker container itself.
NordLocker has zero knowledge about your data, so there’s no way we could access the content of your files.